Friday, February 12, 2010

Intro post - every blog needs one!

It's a sad thing, but I've never actually read the bible. I mean, I know the popular stories. Universe made in seven days, virgin birth, Armageddon, all that stuff, but I've never actually sat down and read the thing.

And I know I'm not alone. I'm sure that plenty of people who claim to believe in the bible haven't actually read it. At most, they've heard it read from, piece by piece, during church services.

The thing is, a lot of people who slander Christianity haven't read the bible either. They make a mockery of a thing they haven't studied. It seems to me that if you're going to make fun of something, you should at least know what you're making fun of. It's like me making fun of particle physics. I know squat about it except for maybe a few blurbs read in the newspaper or online, so by what right can I safely make fun of it.

Of course, that's a lousy example. Everyone knows that particle physics are no laughing matter.

It seems to me that it's about time I sat down and actually read the bible.

That being said, I want to make something clear. I am not a Christian. I have no intention of becoming Christian, and reading the bible is not a way to try to convert myself. I don't see it happening. My personal beliefs often go counter to the doctrines of Christianity. While I admit the possibility of being converted just by reading this book, it's a slim and outside chance, and I wouldn't place any wagers on it.

This blog was created as a sort of chronicle to my reading the bible. People familiar with the bible may find some interest in seeing what amodern newcomer can see in the words, and other newcomers may find some comfort in knowing they're not the only ones embarking on this quest. Maybe both groups will find some of my commentaries apt.

In all likelihood, some of my commentaries will offend. I have no doubt of that. I'm going to make jokes, to poke fun at some things, to offer some less-than-flattering views when they come to mind. I'm going to comment on God's plurality expressed in Genesis, and compare characters in Revelation to people and places that I know. I'm going to point out contradictions and take notes when I notice particular passages where biblical literalism will make absolutely no sense. While this blog is going to have some serious and thoughtful commentary and musings (because, let's face it, the bible has some good morality lessons and parables to offer that are applicable in modern times), it's also going to have a lot that people will probably get annoyed about.

To them, I say in advance that if you don't like what you read here, you're free not to read it. I accept discussion and debate, but not flames and sour criticism. There's a big difference between, "My experience with this passage makes me feel that it means..." and "You're an idiot for not seeing what this really means."

If you are devoutly Christian, I urge you not to get offended by what's said here. I urge you to try to take a step back from your own faith and see things from another perspective. Lots of people get turned away from Christianity because of bad attitudes to people asking questions and making commentaries. I was turned away for Christianity once and for all by somebody giving daily hellfire speeches, telling me that I'd be punished for all eternity if I didn't renounce my pagan ways and accept Jesus as my saviour. Like a lot of people presented with that threat, I wondered and asked what kind of loving god would condemn someone for all eternity over a comparatively short mistake.

I was given no answer. Only more hellfire speeches. Didn't do much to endear me to the faith.

But I've reached a time in my life where I feel ready and comfortable with approaching bits of Christianity again, and I figure the book that started it all is also a good place for me to start. Follow along as I try to make sense of a mess that's boggled minds for centuries, torn nations apart, and inspired immense love and charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment